Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Frugal Genealogy: Computer and Internet Costs


Can't afford high-speed internet and don't have a laptop to access your community's free wireless zones? Use your library or community center computers. You may have to schedule an appointment. Does your library offer free at-home Internet service? My local library used to offer free dial-up service. I requested a free disc at my library, and it allowed me access most hours of the day (except for midnight to 2:00 AM, when the system was down for backup).

Save ink and only print what you absolutely need. Check your printer settings and choose the "quick" or "frugal" setting. Make sure your documents are printed in Arial or some other sans serif font.

This post is part of a ten-part series on Frugal Genealogy, based on my most-requested presentation, "Frugal Genealogy, or How Not to Spend a Fortune on Your Family Tree." Each post in this series will focus on one of ten topics I discuss in my presentation, and I freely share one tip from each topic. If you would like me to speak to your group anywhere in the Pacific Northwest on this or any other subject, please contact me.

No comments: