Monday, March 01, 2010

Fearless Females Prompt 1

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

I can't say I have a favorite female ancestor, because I enjoy researching them all! But one I would like to find out more about is my 4th-great-grandmother, Mary "Polly" (WYCOFF) CROTHERS CHAPPEL. I don't know when or where she died or was buried. I know she was alive in 1880 in Millington Township, Tuscola County, Michigan, but there seems to be no death record for her. Polly made a beautiful cross-stitch sampler as a young unmarried woman, which I possess--truly one of my favorite treasures!


For more on the Fearless Females Blogging Prompts, visit The Accidental Genealogist.

5 comments:

PalmsRV said...

I love to see samplers when visiting museums, but to have one of your ancestor's in your possession is the best. You're so lucky!

Cathy

J.M. said...

What a great treasure to have. I hope you manage to find out more about the woman who made it.

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

What a wonderful treasure to have. A great reason to feature her at this time. Thanks for sharing!

Bill ;-)

Tonia Kendrick said...

Beautiful sampler! I used to cross-stitch and samplers were my favorite. I would love to have one that is an actual heirloom.

Miriam Robbins said...

Thank you all for dropping by and leaving your kind words. I know quite a bit about Polly's life; it's her death that leaves me wondering. It's as if she dropped off the planet after the 1880 census!