Sunday, March 16, 2008

John Adams Miniseries Premieres Tonight on HBO

This is one of the few times that I, a person who watches very little television, wish I had cable TV.

Tonight at 8:00 PM, John Adams, a miniseries based on the book by the same name by historian David McCullough, premieres on HBO. If you have never read this book, McCullough used the many letters between John and his wife Abigail, as well as official correspondence between Adams and other now-historical figures, to create a compelling and fascinating piece of non-fiction that gives deep insight into the mind and character of this great man. I first heard about this miniseries last month when I went to the post office to buy stamps. Since the United States Postal Service is sponsoring the show (tie in: the Power of the Letter), my receipt had a little blurb and the URL of the promotional website. I absolutely loved the book; I know that I would enjoy the miniseries immensely. My local library district will hopefully purchase a copy of the miniseries on DVD, as they have for many other historical miniseries featured on PBS, the History Channel, and other networks.

2 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Spot on Miriam! I've been waiting for this miniseries as well but since we have "poor people's TV" aka "no cable" we aren't watching it now.

However, Netflix already has the DVD available or soon to be available for rental and it is at the top of our queue.

Miriam Robbins said...

Great idea, Thomas! I may join Netflix just to get an early viewing of this!