Thursday, March 13, 2008

Genealogy Happy Dance!

I've been looking for an exact place and location of marriage for my great-great-grandparents, James L. YORK and Mary E. "Mae" McARTHUR for years! I knew they were legally married, because I had a copy of the court clerk's file index for their divorce. But I searched through many microfilms and websites without much luck. I even blogged about it last October. And of course, I found it while I was actually looking for something else: vital records for cousins of James to fill out the family trees of some of the collateral relatives. I did not know that James lived in Clinton County, nor that Mary ever lived in Van Buren County. Great stuff, here!



This website is the creation of the Genealogists of Clinton County (Michigan) Historical Society, and I found it through Joe Beine's Online Death Indexes site. Now to contact the historical society to obtain the news article. I may be making a list; I'm finding lots of collateral relatives' records in these great databases!

6 comments:

Becky Wiseman said...

Congratulations, Merriam! So often it does seem that you find something while looking for something else.

Miriam Robbins said...

Thanks, Becky! I find that true, too!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Congrats Miriam! Searching for our more distant relatives can often pay out big.

Unknown said...

Welcome news! The value of perseverance is thus demonstrated. I find that each piece of evidence can lead us to additional facts. I hope your find is only the beginning.

Happy Dae.
http://www.ShoeStringGenealogy.com

Marsyl said...

Cool! I have found that a brick wall only shows me how much I want something. Never, never give up!
Congratulations on your happy dance - I can relate!

Miriam Robbins said...

Thank you, Dae and Pentimento!