Friday, December 21, 2007

This and That Again

From the random thoughts bouncing around in my head:

Every morning, I enjoy reading the latest Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories posts. I've been catching up on my own, and now have numbers 1 - 11 complete. I'm working hard to fill in the ones from when I was so busy the last week of school. I've also added pictures to a couple of ones already posted. The ones I've got in on time to be included in Thomas' daily posts have been sent to him fairly late at night (usually midnight, his time). He probably dreads getting e-mails from me ("can't that gal in Spokane get it together?"). This is what happens when you're competing for computer time with teenagers. They somehow think MySpace and Runescape are so much more important than blogging or genealogy. Sheesh!

I've also been busy with Christmas preparations, like most of you out there. I've got my Christmas letter all written and mailed out (if you would like to get your own copy, just e-mail me; see my address in my profile). Last night I put together the dough and filling for banket, and today I'll roll it out, fill it, and bake it. I'll also bake up a casserole for my hubby's workplace's annual Christmas potluck dinner. Today's plans include finishing up my shopping, and perhaps getting started on the wrapping.

Yesterday brought a nice surprise. We did not know that Norm's oldest niece, nephew-in-law, and grandniece (almost 3) were in town from Illinois. We haven't seen them since they left for Germany a couple of years ago; over the summer, they moved back to the states. They came by our house for a visit, since my husband is working longer hours due to the holidays, and won't be able to make it to the family holiday gathering this weekend. The highlight of my day was when little Evelyn, who doesn't remember me from past visits and was being a little shy, asked me to read a story to her!



A month or so ago, a co-worker brought in a catalog of fund-raising merchandise her son's school was promoting. I saw this bracelet, and simply had to have it! Since it holds six photos in alternating heart- and oval-shaped marcasite-look frames, I've got copies of the six generations of women that I blogged about here. I've received many compliments, and it's a great genealogy conversation starter! Kathryn Beich is the fundraising company, but I can't find it on their website.

EWGS members have been getting their due in the local paper lately. Yesterday's featured past president and current Bulletin editor Doris Woodward, who has written a book on Spokane's circus clown, Harper Joy. The Circus Room on the seventh floor of the world-famous Davenport Hotel honors Joy, and today, Doris will be conducting a book-signing at the Signature Store in the hotel from 4:00 - 7:00 PM. Complimentary hot cider and gingerbread cookies will be served. To read the article, go here. To read the full article without going through the subscription process, simply click the "printer-friendly" link near the top of the page.

What genealogist doesn't love books? Kimbooktu is a blog about all things bookish, including reading accessories and book-themed furniture. Today is the one-year anniversary of the blog, authored by Kim from the Netherlands. Drop by, admire the great finds she's written about, and give her your congratulations.

1 comment:

Jasia said...

I love the bracelet Miriam! I did a quick search on Google and found lots of photo frame bracelets but none as pretty as yours.

Maybe the company has sold out and will restock for next year.