Friday, December 28, 2007

Even More of This and That

I was up in the wee hours of the morning (teenagers, sleepover...need I say more?), so I got on the computer and checked my Google Reader to catch the East Coast blogs' morning posts. Did you see that George G. Morgan is discontinuing his blog, "Along Those Lines..." to do more writing-for-pay as well as keep up with his busy lecturing schedule? We'll miss him.

I'm sure someone's blogged about this before, but I stumbled across the Local History and Genealogy Reading "Room" of the Library of Congress' website. Of course, it was bookmarked immediately, and I suggest you do the same!

Lori Thornton at Smoky Mountain Family Historian links to an article about the Boston Public Library Digitization Project. Exciting!

I'm not a Martha Stewart fan, but she does have a good tip for storing ornaments. Many of us genealogists have ornaments that are antiques, modern family favorites passed down over a couple of generations, or decorations created to honor our ancestors. We should do our best to preserve these special keepsakes:
The boxes that your ornaments came in are best for storage; if you didn't save the originals, you can wrap each piece individually in acid-free tissue paper, and pack them in a sturdy, compartmentalized box (or use paper cups to keep ornaments separate). Be sure to store the box in a stable environment, such as a closet; fluctuating temperatures and moisture levels in attics and basements can be harmful to the decorations. [from www.marthastewart.com, search site for "ornament storage"]

2 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

Miriam, Thanks for the link to Local History and Genealogy Reading Room at LC. I found that the Catalog Searching Tips: Local History & Genealogy Reading Room at http://www.loc.gov/rr/genealogy/tips.html
to be most helpful. And I've bookmarked your link also. THANKS!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Terry Thornton

Miriam Robbins said...

You're welcome, Terry! I think this link will be most helpful to many genealogists!