Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Join Us for Scanfest! - March 25th

There's really nothing so dreary as sitting and scanning all those old photos, documents, and other ancestral ephemera. It takes time, it's mindless, and just plain boring, but it's also a necessary part of preserving our precious family heirlooms. As family historians, we often are the ones who inherit the family papers and portraits, and we are entrusted with the citation, preservation and storage for future generations.

To make the task a little more interesting and fun, we invite you to join us next Sunday, March 25th, from noon 'til 2:00 PM, Pacific Daylight Time. We will "meet" online via Windows Live Messenger. You will need to have a Messenger account, for which you can sign up and download for free here. Then send me an e-mail (see my profile in the right-hand menu). I'll add you to my contacts list and the Scanfest Group. Or you can search for me--Miriam Robbins Midkiff--to add me to your contacts list, if you have Windows Live Messenger already (my Messenger address will be at hotmail rather than gmail).

Last month, Lee, Jasia, and I met and had a great time scanning, chatting, and getting to know each other a little better. See my report here. We hope to see more of you this Sunday. You don't have to be a genea-blogger to join; just a love of family history and a willingness to chat with us about what you're scanning. See you then!

And, omigosh! I just went over to Jasia's blog to link it to this post, and saw she has the greatest Scanfest animation! How cool!

5 comments:

Jasia said...

The scanfest animation on my blog is cool isn't it? But I can't take credit for it. Susan Kitchens made it!

Miriam Robbins said...

Well, kudos to Susan...isn't she awesome?! I'm looking forward to this Scanfest, for sure!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea I'll be with you in spirit, but not in Messenger. I'm a Mac kinda girl.h

Anonymous said...

Moultrie, I'm with you there. I've got a cross-platform chat thingie that I can invite you all to. Hafta set it up. The arrangements for such have gotten away from me, though. Crazy busy times. Heck, I haven't even posted the image on my own site!

And thanks, Miriam. (yes, the foto in scanfest flash animation is my g-grandmother when she was young)

Anonymous said...

I'm reading up on stuff about the messenger service. I use AIM/ichat.

This page On the older Mac versions says this:

Begin quote (emphasis mine):
Instant message conversations with other corporate account users are not limited to corporate users who have Messenger for Mac installed on their computers. With the federation features enabled on Live Communications Server, users can also have instant message conversations with users who have other instant messaging services, such as AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), Yahoo Messenger, and iChat users who are signed in with AOL accounts.
End Quote

So.. my AIM account is auntialias and I'll be online lots of today (friday). Would you do a test to see if you can include me?