Saturday, July 24, 2010

Update to 52 Weeks of Online American Digital Archives and Databases: Michigan

When I posted my latest 52 Weeks of Online American Digital Archives and Databases post last Sunday, I neglected to add two resources.

The first was intentional. I could not get the Genesee County Clerk's Death and Marriage Records Index page to load. I wasn't sure if the site was undergoing maintenance (there was no notice, if so) or if the Clerk's office was planning to remove the database. Today I was happy to see that it is up and running just fine, especially as it is a resource I use quite often. I'm proud to say that my YORK, WYCKOFF, CROTHERS, and SWEERS ancestors were some of the first settlers in that county, and this database has been extremely helpful in locating names of descendants of those ancestors, especially since microfilming of that county's vital records ends around 1910-1920.

I did accidentally leave off a great resource: the St. Clair County Library System's Michigan Room. This page links to wonderful digitized data such as city directories, plat atlases and an agricultural census.

I have added both links to my original 52 Weeks of Online American Digital Archives and Databases: Michigan post. They are both listed alphabetically in the last section of the post (local resources). Enjoy!

No comments: