Friday, March 06, 2015

Friday Finds and Follows: 6 March 2015



Articles and posts that caught my eye:

A New Genealogy Website went Online Today: Genealogy Gophers by Dick Eastman at Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter - Dick highlights a new website that searches online historical and genealogical books across the internet.

Tips for Using the Free David Rumsey Historical Maps Website by Diane Haddad at Genealogy Insider - I'm a map lover so I had to bookmark this. Plus, it's always fun to find a good tutorial, even if you're already familiar with the website.

FindMyPast.co.uk Offers a Free Weekend of Research This Weekend, Mar. 6-9, 2015 by LE at MCGG and Let's Talk...Genealogy - If you have British ancestors, you're not going to want to miss this. Also, FindMyPast has a number of American records available as well!

HeritageQuestOnline, Now Powered by Ancestry at The Newberry Library blog - Ancestry is now powering HeritageQuestOnline. Unfortunately, this means the original digitized images have been replaced by Ancestry's. There is a link to tutorials on using the upgraded site on this post.

After 100 years, a public record comes home by Brian Zylstra at From Our Corner (Washington Office of the Secretary of State's blog) - How in the world did the City of Palouse's council meeting minutes end up in a home in Wichita, Kansas?

Who Do You Think You Are? Sweepstakes Begins March 8th, a press release posted by Thomas MacEntee at GeneaBloggers - Even though I don't get TLC, I'm still excited Who Do You Think You Are? is coming back. Check out their sweepstakes!

Using the Swedish Household Clerical Exams by Juliana Szucs at the Ancestry blog - If you have Swedish ancestors (I have one adoptive line), you're going to want to check this out. It's a great annual census-type record.

Sneak Peek at Internet Archive’s New Look by Denise Olson at Moultrie Creek Gazette - I think you'll agree that the new look is quite becoming!

Ohio Adoption File Access Opens on 20 March 2015 by Debbie Mieszala at The Advancing Genealogist - Adoption research is close to my heart, as my very first case was reuniting my paternal grandmother with her biological family. Since then, I've helped, either directly or indirectly, a dozen adoptees connect with their biological families, too. Debbie's post highlights access that is sure to help many adoptees find the answers they seek.

Genealogy Tool – Common genealogical words in eight languages by Christina George at Cristina George Genealogy - Do you have Eastern European ancestors? Then you'll want to check out this cool chart! Even though I don't have any ancestors from these countries, I'm impressed by this great tool.

Another frustrating day at the National Records of Scotland by Chris Paton at The British GENES Blog - Sometimes it seems like rules, regulations, and laws regarding access of records, along with inefficiency of archival methods, conspire against genealogists.

GREAT NEWS: I DID IT!!! by Cari Taplin at Genealogy Pants - Becoming a Certified Genealogist is one of my goals. Cari did it, and I'm so happy for her! Congratulations!


My New Genealogy, History, and Archives Follows at Twitter:

@MichelleGoodrum, @hackgenealogy, @lizl_genealogy@HelenEDTovey, @YourFamTreemag, @LiesaHealy, @rootfinders_gen, @karenmahoney25, @rfgenealogie, @msmemories, @MassObsArchive


Genealogy Facebook Pages I've "Liked":
  • None this week

Follow Me

Check out my websites:


Online Historical Directories 


Online Historical Newspapers

Pin It

No comments: