Friday, June 15, 2007

Six Generations of Fathers: The Midkiff Men

For Mother's Day, I created a post entitled "Eight Generations of Mothers," and posted photos and descriptions of the eight mothers in the direct maternal line of my children. So, naturally, it follows that I should post something similar for my kids' direct paternal line. Once, again, I start with my children:




These are my children, Melissa Joy and Matthew Jon MIDKIFF. While 50% of Missy's autosomal DNA is inherited from her father, only Matt--as a male--inherits the Y-DNA from his direct father's line, the Midkiffs, and in turn has the possibility of passing it on to his male descendants. If you are interested in joining our Midkiff Family DNA Project, click here.


This is their father, Norman Jon MIDKIFF. He is the first generation of fathers in their family tree.


My father-in-law, Troy Wesley MIDKIFF. He is the second generation of fathers in my children's family tree.


My husband's grandfather, John Franklin MIDKIFF, II (1910 - 1957). He is the third generation of fathers in my children's family tree.


This is my husband's great-grandfather, John Franklin MIDKIFF, I (1870 - 1926). He is the fourth generation of fathers.


This is my husband's great-great-grandfather, Charles Anderson MIDKIFF, Sr. (1839 - 1919), a Confederate veteran who served in the Texas Cavalry. He is the fifth generation of fathers.

There is one more generation of fathers: my children's 4th-great-grandfather, Franklin Preston MIDKIFF (c. 1800 - c. 1840), who died about the time photography was invented. Franklin is our Midkiff brick wall, but through DNA testing, we do know that this line connects with many other Midkiffs who hail from Virginia in the 1700s.

3 comments:

Bill West said...

Hey Miriam!

I liked this post and the one like it you did on Mothers Day.

It's fascinating to see how each
much each generation resembles the others!

Janice said...

I was thinking the same think as Bill--there is a resemblance (around the eyes I think) that has been passed along for many generations.

You'd think with a name like Midkiff you'd have an easy time tracing the family. It could be worse... it could be a Smith you are looking for! :D

Janice

Anonymous said...

I love seeing posts like these. It is so neat to see not just names but pictures.

I could post pictures of my mother's father, grandfather and great-grandfather, but not my dad's. I was lucky to find one picture of his father!

Thanks for sharing!

Ken