Friday, January 02, 2015

Friday Finds and Follows: 2 January 2015



Articles and posts that caught my eye:

Why I Love Probate Files by Bill West of West in New England - I love them, too, and I'm trying to locate more of my ancestors' probate files so I can move from an intermediate to an advanced level as a researcher in this resource

Are You New to Genealogy? by Dick Eastman of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter - some great basics resources to bookmark, read, and use

More Digital Images Added to Michigan Probates on FamilySearch.org at MCGG and Let's Talk...Genealogy -  Hooray! Again I find a post highlighting probate records, and these are from my ancestors' locations!

Town historians: a helpful resource by Nancy Bernard at Vita Brevis - did you know that every town in New York State has a historian, as required by law? (A "town" in New York State is actually a division of a county equal or similar to townships in other states.)

"Jingle Bells" started as a drinking song by Gail Dever at Genealogy à la Carte - and so did the tune to the "The Star-Spangled Banner," as a matter of fact! Fun facts behind a familiar Christmastime tune!

Data Backup Deal from iDrive EXCLUSIVELY for Followers of GeneaBloggers by Thomas MacEntee of GeneaBloggers - I'm purchasing this as soon as I finish writing this blog post. This special deal of $14.88 (75% off the regular price of $59.50) expires January 5, 2015, so get this NOW.

A Christmas box by Kyle Hurst of Vita Brevis - a sentimental true story that should inspire you to interview your elders

Assessor and Property Tax Records Research at the Public Records Free Directory Blog - while this information appears most useful for modern records, it could be helpful if you want to know more about the current status of an ancestor's home, or if you're doing a house history.

Going Against the Tide: Finding the Evidence by Elyse Doerflinger at Elyse's Genealogy Blog - I've come to the same conclusion as Elyse: enter those people in an unproven relationship into my genealogy database, but as unlinked individuals.

Civil War Medical Cards: Using Them to Research Your Union Ancestors by Will Moneymaker at Ancestral Findings - with nine director Civil War Veteran ancestors, all who fought for the Union, I'm always excited when I discover a new-to-me Civil War resource!


My New Genealogy Follows at Twitter:

@mhmphrs, @pjcjohnson, @thejonoscott, @Photo_Tree, @stoby, @CheerfulWord, @GenieWiz, @iwikiwichick, @AtcherleyONS, @DunedinGenie, @TheKirstyGray, @GM_Ancestry, @HalstedTrust, @IanHartas, @findersprobate, @LocalBMDProject, @BVacantia, @mcphilbrick, @ottawafamtree, @GenSocIreland, @one_descendant, @lamacki88, @VegasIlDivoDiva, @anewstarttoday, @LazyLoverUK


Genealogy Facebook Pages I've "Liked":

Follow Me

Check out my websites:


Online Historical Directories 


Online Historical Newspapers

Pin It

No comments: