Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday Finds and Follows: 16 January 2015



Articles and posts that caught my eye:

Darned Records: When You Let Gollum Index at The Ancestry Insider - from the Humor Department

Speaking of the Humor Department, have you checked out Geneapalooza? This weekday genealogy cartoon always starts my day out right!

Hire a professional? Why on earth would I do that? by the unnamed blogger at For Us the Living - great reasons to hire a professional

On the very same day, I read Barbara Poole's Somebody Answered my Plea to Help Solve A Brick Wall, and I Gladly Paid Him! at Life From the Roots.

Announcing the Genetic Genealogy Standards by Blaine Bettinger at The Genetic Genealogist - we're witnessing genealogy history, folks, and--better yet--the standards will help our research

Top 10 Gmail Labs and Features You Should Enable by Whitson Gordon at Lifehacker -  I'm a big GMail user and fan here, always looking for ways to tweak it

Why are there Blue "Silver" Books? by Heather Wilkinson Rojo at Nutfield Genealogy - as a Mayflower descendant who doesn't own any of these books, but have used them at my genealogical society's holdings, I've wondered this myself

How you can find out if you're related to someone famous by Rob Cardwell at WTVR - this reporter didn't know much about his family tree and even less about Richmond, Virginia history when he moved there from Florida. However, he made some interesting discoveries! - hat tip to GenealogyBlog's Leland Meitzler

10 Years, Over 150 Records Requested--How Many Did I Actually Receive? by Diane Gould Hall at Michigan Family Trails - are you keeping track of your requests? How? Diane displays her handy spreadsheet.

Farm-Spotting: The Simon Gates Home Farm in Gardner, Massachusetts by Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings - Cousin Randy did some platting to determine where his ancestor's farm lay. Read this and the following posts, especially if you are a cartophile (map lover), as I am.

Looking for historic NW images? State Library has 'em! by Brian Zylstra at From Our Corner (a blog of the Washington Secretary of State) - your ancestor didn't have to live in Washington State for you to find great images. The collection includes photos from all over the Pacific Northwest. No PNW ancestors for you? Let this prompt you to look in your ancestors' state library digital collections (check out my incomplete Online Digital Archives and Databases series for links to state libraries' digital collections from Alabama through Nebraska, as well as the District of Columbia and U.S. Territories).


My New Genealogy Follows at Twitter:

@WashburnLinda, @Irish_Genealogy, @NJGenealogy, @ValsRoots, @mamaligablues, @Quizman3


Genealogy Facebook Pages I've "Liked":

Follow Me

Check out my websites:


Online Historical Directories 


Online Historical Newspapers

Pin It

No comments: