Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ancestors in the 1930 U.S. Federal Census - Part 4

April 1st was Census Day for the 1930 U.S. Federal Census. In honor of that census day, throughout the month of April I am posting lists of my known direct ancestors and where they were residing during that census. I'll also list who's missing; for us family historians, missing individuals on census records can be the most frustrating and intriguing challenges of genealogy!

In previous posts on this topic, I've concentrated on my paternal grandparents and their parents. Now I will take a look at my mother's side of the family with the enumeration of her father, William VALK, then seventeen years old and living at home with his father, William James VALK, his step-mother, Ida Eva LAMBRECHT, and his many (full, half, and step) brothers and sisters. Their address was 1006 White Avenue, Grand Rapids, Kent Co., Michigan (First Ward).



The first thing I noticed was that eldest child James was missing. I have done numerous unsuccessful searches for him, and have concluded that this must have been the period of time when he was enlisted in the U.S. Army. The second missing child is Oscar, who was living on Beals Road in Wyoming Township, Kent Co., Michigan, with the foster family (Henry and Agnes Yonker) that raised him throughout most of his childhood.



I've mentioned the details of this family twice recently: the first in the biography of my grandfather's sister, Barbara; and the second in the post regarding his half-sister Bertha's obituary.

(Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11, Part 12)

No comments: