Thursday, September 19, 2024

Precious Memories: Tying Shoes

Miriam and Pixie on the front steps at our home
on Bayview Boulevard, Klawock, Alaska, 1971.

My dad taught me how to tie my shoes when I was probably five years old, about a year after this photo was taken 

First he taught me how to put my shoes on the correct feet by showing me how the tips of the shoes matched the shape of my feet: slightly larger on the inside by my big toes and curving down to the outside by my pinky toes. Next I learned how to pull the tongue straight so it wouldn't fold under or wrinkle and make my foot uncomfortable (it made me giggle to hear that a shoe had a tongue, just like me!).

Then he showed me how to cross the ends of the shoelaces ("make an X"), take the bottom lace up and over the other, through the "hole" at the bottom of the X, and pull the ends tight. Finally, I made "bunny ears" with each of the laces and repeated the previous steps. I was so proud that I could tie my little blue Keds all by myself!

No comments: