Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Autumn in Spokane

In the past few weeks, genea-bloggers have been proudly displaying photos of local autumn colors. My brother-in-law and his family spent a day in the Greenbluff area about three weeks ago, just northwest of Spokane, well-known regionally for its orchards and small farms. Mike's taking a photography class, and snapped these calendar-worthy shots, capturing the brilliant colors that have since faded:


© Michael J. Midkiff, 2007. Used with permission.



© Michael J. Midkiff, 2007. Used with permission.



© Michael J. Midkiff, 2007. Used with permission.

Aren't they breathtaking? They're a great reminder of my favorite season! Now that November is here, the leaves have fallen off most of the trees and the bright hues are dulled. When the sky isn't overcast, the blue looks pale and cold, instead of the warm azure we saw last month. As I drove to the November meeting of the Eastern Washington Genealogical Society on Saturday and saw the wind scuttling the dry leaves through the downtown intersections, I realized that when I return for the next meeting, there will likely be snow on the ground!

5 comments:

Lee said...

Gorgeous! Michael is very talented!

Terry Thornton said...

Miriam, Thanks for the wonderful fall pictures from Spokane. One of these years I hope to do the Coeur d'Alene to Spokane to Wenatchee drive again. Your photos have inspired me to start planning!
Terry Thornton
Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I wish I could take such great pictures! We're expecting winter to arrive here tonight.

Miriam Robbins said...

Lee, I agree! His eldest daughter is equally talented; she will be the next Anne Geddes. Some of her work (but certainly not the breadth of what she does) can be found here.

Terry, the drive from Coeur d'Alene to Wenatchee is indeed beautiful...but then the Northwest almost always is, with its diversity of climates and geography. If you come through, be sure to look me up!

Apple, I, too, wish I could take such great photos...why do you think I have MIKE'S photos on my blog, instead of my own! ;-)

Thanks for you comments, everyone!

footnoteMaven said...

Miriam:

You and Michael have done our state of Washington proud.

We live in a beautiful part of the country and it's good to show the rest of the world why we'd never move.

fM