Thursday, June 17, 2010

Home of Father's Day, Spokane Gears Up for the Centennial

Did you know my hometown is the birthplace of Father's Day? This year marks one hundred years of the very first celebration, an idea founded by Sonora Smart Dodd and endorsed by the Spokane YMCA, along with the local Ministerial Alliance. In the next few days, I'll attempt to highlight some of the history of Father's Day.  Here's a public service announcement from one of Spokane's own:


Here's a list of some local events highlighting the centennial and honoring dads.

2 comments:

Charles said...

Yes I knew that, because I wrote an article on Sonora Dodd a few years ago. Sonora and her husband were the Dodd in Ball and Dodd Funeral Home also.

Michelle Goodrum said...

Wow, I had no idea and my grandparents grew up in the area. Great post!