Sunday, May 09, 2010

My Husband's Maternal Line

Three years ago, I published "Eight Generations of Mothers," which highlighted my matrilineal line. For this Mother's Day, I'd like to post my husband's matrilineal (maternal) line. I have to add that I am very blessed to have the mother-in-law that I do. She's got a wicked sense of humor, is generous to a fault (can't remember when I have visited her and didn't go home with something she gave me), and is a wonderful cook...a heritage that must have been passed on from her mother and her maternal grandmother, both of whom owned restaurants.


This is my mother-in-law, Alice Carol CHAPLIN, at around the age of 2 1/2. Isn't she a cutie? This photo was taken the summer of 1935, and may have been taken in Clark County, Washington.


This photo was taken the same day as the one above. It is of Alice's mother, Leona Mary (MARTIN) CHAPLIN (in front), at about age 28, with her mother, Angelia Rebecca (LUKE) MARTIN, about age 69, in the background. I love this shot for a number of reasons. There are very few family photos from my mother-in-law's family that I have been able to find. I also like this because it shows a young, very pretty, Leona. I only met her once, at my wedding, and she was quite elderly and wheelchair-bound. There's only one other photo I know of her, and that's with her twin brother when they were babies. I also like this because it's the only photo of Angelia that I have in which you can see her face. I recently visited Angelia's grave in Oregon last weekend.


Here is Angelia's mother, Rebecca (HEWITT) LUKE. This portrait, the original of which includes her husband, was taken in 1908, probably in Bon Homme County, South Dakota. She was about 73 in this photo.

Addendum:

I have information on one more generation in this line: Hannah (MILLER) HEWITT was born about 1803 in Pennsylvania and died between 1860 and 1870 in Wisconsin, probably in Dane County. I do not have any photographs of her.

5 comments:

Lori H said...

So nice to read something nice about in-laws. There are so many families that do get along beautifully and it's refreshing to see such a tribute!

Miriam Robbins said...

Thanks, Lori. I added information on one more generation which I forgot to list when I originally wrote this post.

GrannyPam said...

Leona Maryand her mother, Angelia Rebecca look like peas in a pod to me.

Around here we say, "Funny how the little ones look like the big ones".

Miriam Robbins said...

I agree, Pam! And if you ever saw a baby photo of my sister-in-law, you would see how much she and her mother looked alike at that age!

Thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

Leona ended up looking exactly like her mother. Look at her memorial on findagrave and see the family resemblence.
And, yes, I looked just like my mother (Alice) as my youngest looks just like my mother and me.
Kinda scary....
Your sister-in-law