Monday, July 06, 2009

Pension File of Levi Edward McLALLIN - 6 Feb 1866

I thought I'd join John Newmark of Transylvanian Dutch in his Amanuensis Monday. I have been needing to transcribe the pension file of my 4th-great-grandfather, Levi Edward McLALLIN. Any of my notations within this transcription are both italicized and in brackets.

Examining Surgeon's Certificate

----------------

Applicant's Service.
I hereby Certify, That I have carefully examined Levi E. McLallin, late a Corporal in Co C of the 27th Regiment Mich. Vol. Inf. in the service of the United States, who was discharged at Petersburg Va on the 20 day of January 1862, and is an applicant for an invalid pension, by reason of alleged disability resulting from Gun Shot Wound of right Lung.

Degree of disability.
In my opinion the said Levi E. McLallin is three fourths 3/4 incapacitated for obtaining his subsistence by manual labor from the cause above stated.


Origin.
Judging from his present condition, and from the evidence before me, it is my belief that the said disability occured [sic] in the service aforesaid in the line of duty.


Probable duration.
The disability is Permanent.

A more particular description of the applicant's condition is subjoined:


Particular description.
The wound was received from ball entering the right lung just above the nipple & passing through backward diagonally but not passing out. The lung is extensively solidified as also is the right lobe of the liver. Two floating ribs, of same side he states were broken by an injury received while being conveyed from the field--One still presents considerable deformitys [sic]

[signed]
C. M. Stockwell
Examining Surgeon

not Ordered

Residence
New Haven
Macomb Co
Mich

2 comments:

Bill West said...

Looking forward to more of the file,
Miriam. I need to get on the ball
and do the rest of the files I have
for my ancestors but I'm still wrapped up in the early colonial period ancestors.

Miriam Robbins said...

I am hoping to get this line, or maybe Levi's wife's line (Clarissa CLEVELAND) back to the colonial days, myself. I think she'll tie into the New England pioneer, Moses CLEVELAND (d. 1701/2). I have found a few Clarissas, but none of them are mine.