Monday, July 27, 2009

Pension File of Levi Edward McLALLIN - 27 Feb and 28 Apr 1866

I thought I'd join John Newmark of Transylvanian Dutch in his Amanuensis Monday. I have been needing to transcribe the pension file of my 4th-great-grandfather, Levi Edward McLALLIN. Any of my notations within this transcription are both italicized and in brackets.

[In upper left hand corner, partially illegible because page corner was folded over before being photocopied]
April 30/66
[initialed] f

[In upper right hand corner]
Detroit
62957

WAR OF 1861.
ACT JULY 14, 1862

Brief in case of Levi E McLallin Copl of Company C, 27 Regiment Mich vol.

POST OFFICE ADDRESS OF APPLICANT:
New Haven Macomb Co Michigan
Enlisted Oct 22, 1862, Discharged Jany 20, 1865.

CLAIM FOR AN INVALID PENSION.
DECLARATION AND IDENTIFICATION IN DUE FORM.
PROOF EXHIBITED.

[illegible] disability--Gun shot wound entering cavity of chest--also by a piece of shell in right side [illegible] ribs--May 12 64

Off for [illegible] that he received his wound when in the line of duty at Battle of Spotsylvania May 12 64

Dr Stockwell reps Feby 6 66 3/4 disability--from gun shot wounds of chest

Admitted April 28, 1866, to a Pension of $6.00 per month, commencing Jany 25, 1865 Feby 27--66

Disability 2/4 Disabled by Gun shot wound chest

Claimant
New Haven
Michigan
Name and Residence of Agent

Examining Clerk.
[signed] A Johnson

2 comments:

Ginger Smith said...

Thanks for posting this. I have been transcribing Civil War Pension applications of my Smith ancestor as well. I was going to ask you why does the form say "Claim for an Invalid Pension?" - is that "invalid" as in something that is not valid or correct? or "invalid" as in a disabled person? If it was the former, I wondered why would it be not-valid if it was a pension that was granted (versus rejected)? If it is the latter, then I guess I can understand what it means a little bit better.

Miriam Robbins said...

Hi, Ginger,

I originally thought the same thing! It is INvalid, as a disabled person (noun), not inVALid, as not valid (adjective).