Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sneaking in the Back Door: Getting Michigan Death Certificates

Because of the high volume of use of the Seeking Michigan website by the public searching the 1897 - 1920 Michigan Death Certificate database and images, it has been inaccessible to many.

I know how to get to that data a different way!

Go to http://haldigitalcollections.cdmhost.com/ and click on Search in the left-hand column.

At the bottom of the search page, click the Clear All button to erase searching all the collections. Then check Death Records, 1897 - 1920. Go to the top of the page and enter your info in the search fields. Click Search.

I was able to continue searching this way, even when I couldn't access the data through the Seeking Michigan portal. I couldn't figure out how to download or save the image using Mozilla Firefox's browser, but could do it with Internet Explorer, by right-clicking on the image and choosing Save Picture As.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Sheri Fenley said...

You are a Genius Miriam!

Jasia said...

Thanks Miriam!

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Thanks for this info. I didn't even know that Michigan records were out there to look at.

Miriam Robbins said...

You're welcome! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for informing us of the back door. I had tried to get in all evening, but the site was too busy. I found some good info on my line.

Barb