Friday, December 12, 2008

Geotagging with Blogger in Draft

A post about geotagging enabling was published on Wednesday on the Blogger in Draft blog. I can see this feature being very useful for genea-blogging. For instance, when Apple is transcribing her letters of Sarah Ann Camfield or Granny Pam is featuring the latest postcard from Belle's Box, they can use the geotagging feature to tag all the locations mentioned in the correspondence. Readers can then find other posts written about the same location.

I'm looking forward to using this feature.

UPDATE 14 Dec 2008: Apple did a great review on this feature. Keep in mind that this is in Beta, which means they are still working out all the kinks and issues and it is a long ways from being perfected. If you use it and have difficulties, be sure to let the Blogger in Draft team know about the problems (nicely, of course). It's collaborative input like this that improves these types of technology.

2 comments:

Kathryn Doyle said...

Miriam,

I hadn't seen anything yet about this feature. Thanks for sharing - I'm going to check it out now and tag my upcoming post about Tangier.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Hi Miriam,

After two hours of total frustration I now have the location function working on my blog - I think. I can't get the map widget to work - yet, but I haven't totally given up. Now I just have to back through and tag the rest of the letters.

I see lots of potential for this new feature but there are either some bugs still or it's simply beyond my (current) ability. I'll write up something in a few days.

Apple