Monday, November 12, 2007

Thank You for Serving Our Country


While yesterday was the anniversary of the original Armistice (Veterans) Day--the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"--today is the official day of observance here in the United States. I would like to say "thank you" to the veterans and active duty personnel in my life, who have guaranteed my freedoms and the freedoms of my family and millions of others:

First my family and the family of my husband:
  • *My cousin Chuck, U.S. Army and U.S. Air National Guard, veteran
  • *My cousin Matt, U.S. Air Force, active duty
  • *My cousin Beth's husband, Bryan, U.S. Army, active duty
  • *My grand-uncle Bill, U.S. Army Air Corps and U.S. Air Force, veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam
  • *My children's paternal grandfather, Troy, U.S. Army, veteran
  • *My children's granduncle Norm, U.S. Army, veteran
  • *My children's cousin, U.S. Marine Corps, veteran
  • *My children's cousin, David, U.S. Air Force, veteran
  • *My children's cousin-in-law, Nathan, U.S. Air Force, veteran; and U.S. Air National Guard, active duty
  • *My children's step-cousin, Laura, U.S. Army, veteran
  • *My children's step-cousin-in-law, John, U.S. Army, active duty

My website contains a page with a list of military ancestors (and their brothers and sons) who have served from World War II back to the colonial wars. I also have a page with my children's paternal military ancestors and relatives, here.

I live in Spokane, which has a strong military history beginning with Ft. Spokane and Ft. George Wright (U.S. Army posts of the 1800's), continuing with Geiger Field and the Navy Depot Station in Spokane County and Farragut Naval Base in nearby North Idaho during World War II, and including Fairchild Air Force Base in the present. One cannot help but knowing active duty personnel and/or veterans in this area. I'd like to say "thank you" to the many friends and neighbors we have that are either currently serving or have served our country, including several of my children's teachers, and many of my colleagues at Spokane Public Schools. Thank you, too, to those military wives I work with, who teach all day, then go home to raise their families alone while their husbands are overseas.

And finally, although certainly not last in my thoughts, are the genea-bloggers, who bring their military background and perspective to our community and to our research:
If I have forgotten anyone, I sincerely apologize (please send me a note if you notice anyone is missing).

Thank you!

3 comments:

Craig Manson said...

And thank you for remembering all of our veterans.

Thomas MacEntee said...

Yes thank you so much.

I wanted to pass along a link to my posting for Veterans Day. My 20 year old cousin was killed in Iraq in January 2005. I interviewed his mother last week, and after two and a half years, she was finally able to talk about what happened and her thoughts and feelings.

http://destinationaustinfamily.blogspot.com/2007/11/kennys-choice-veterans-day-tribute.html

Miriam Robbins said...

Thomas, I read your post about your cousin the day you published it. Of course, it brought tears to my eyes. He gave the ultimate sacrifice, and as senseless as his death may seem, I am very grateful for what he and many others have done for each of us. Thank you for writing that sober reminder we all need to hear.