Sunday, November 25, 2007

Back Home Again

I just returned a couple of hours ago from a visit to the west side of the state, where we were visiting my children's paternal relatives for a late Thanksgiving combined with their grandfather's birthday celebration. For most of Friday (after we started our trip) I didn't feel too well, but fortunately after a good night's sleep, I was back to my perky self.

We had a very pleasant visit with my children's grandparents this weekend, followed by a shorter, but equally pleasant, visit with their aunt, her husband, and daughters this afternoon before returning home. My children's cousin accompanied us on our visit, and was a big help in loading and unloading our vehicle, and especially in keeping our 14-year-old and 17-year-old from irritating each other (and thus, us) on our seven-hour-each-way journey.

We ate well: besides their taking us out to dinner Friday night, my children's grandmother cooked a delicious Thanksgiving dinner for us Saturday evening. My children's grandfather blessed us no end by loaning us a crate full of photographs from my children's father's childhood and ancestral photographs and family papers, including a huge stack of postcards that once belonged to my children's great-great-grandparents from c. 1908 - 1950s (thrill for me). As usual, my children's grandfather had plenty of stories to tell, and as I had brought my laptop along, I was able to add quite a few notes to the family tree.

I'm exhausted, of course, but I look forward to catching up on e-mails and reading my favorite blogs. I'll be sharing the genealogical treasures we've been loaned as I get the time to scan them.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Miriam,
Nice to see that Thanksgiving went well.
It looks like you brought back some treasures ! Fortunately for us, that we have scanners to quickly copY and classify photograhs and postcards.
I have not had any other old photographs from my kin.
It is a wonderful experience for any genealogist for the first time to see your great or great-great grandparents or great-uncles or aunts.
One of the bonuses of doing genealogy :)

Have a nice day .

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving, especially since you came home with all those family history goodies :D

Janice said...

Miriam,

What a wonderful family gather you had! Despite the marketing hype, these holidays are about relationships and less about the food!

Now I know you will be busy for a long time scanning all those postcards and photographs :D

Janice