Thursday, July 12, 2007

Lloyd Jack ROBBINS (1927 - 2007)

Today I received an e-mail from my aunt, who in turn had received a phone call from her aunt informing us that my paternal granduncle, Lloyd "Jack" ROBBINS, had passed away this morning in Florida from pneumonia. No funeral is planned, but I'll be looking online the next few days for a possible obituary. I use RefDesk.com to help me find online obituaries in local newspapers nationwide, whenever I hear of the death of an out-of-state family member.

I have no memories of Uncle Jack; probably the last (if only) time I would have seen him was when I was five years old, when his father, William Bryan ROBBINS, Sr., passed away in Western Michigan. So there isn't a sense of loss as there would be if I had known him well. However, I do mourn that his passing marks that of yet another member of the Greatest Generation; he, like his two older brothers, served in World War II. While they served in the Army Air Corps, he enlisted in the Navy. In fact, only last month, I blogged about a letter my grandfather had written to his parents. In it, he mentioned how glad he was that Jack had joined up.

Uncle Jack was preceded in death by his parents, William Bryan ROBBINS and Marie LEWIS, his brother, Robert Lewis ROBBINS (my grandfather); and his sister, Shirley Marie (ROBBINS) HALL. He is survived by his wife, a son, and three grandchildren, as well as one brother, one sister, and several nieces and nephews. Should I find an obituary, I'll post it here later.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Miriam,
My sympathies go out to you and your entire family.
That was nice of you to dedicate a post to your uncle.

See you soon.

Miriam Robbins said...

Thank you, Barbara.