Sunday, May 22, 2011

News from Google News Archive and Chronicling America

Have you visited my Online Historical Newspapers website, or its corresponding blog? I created it to help genealogists and other researchers find digitized newspapers for their locations of research. Here's some news that highlights two major digitization projects:

 Google News Archive is ending their newspaper digitization project:
We work closely with newspaper partners on a number of initiatives, and as part of the Google News Archives digitization program we collaborated to make older newspapers accessible and searchable online. These have included publications like the London Advertiser in 1895, L’Ami du Lecteur at the turn of the century, and the Milwaukee Sentinel from 1910 to 1995.

Users can continue to search digitized newspapers at http://news.google.com/archivesearch, but we don’t plan to introduce any further features or functionality to the Google News Archives and we are no longer accepting new microfilm or digital files for processing. [Hat tip to John D. Reid of Anglo-Celtic Connections]

A link to browse individual historical titles is at http://news.google.com/newspapers, and from there you can search the individual newspaper. I will continue to add these titles to my Online Historical Newspapers website. It does take time, and I am currently nearly finished with the titles beginning with the letter A.

---


Meanwhile, the Library of Congress' Chronicling America project continues in full swing:
Last week, the Library of Congress updated the Chronicling America Web site with more than 230,000 additional newspaper pages in various titles. The site now provides access to more than 3.7 million searchable newspaper pages from 506 newspaper titles, published in 22 states and the District of Columbia between 1860 and 1922.

These titles are also being added and updated on my site. Keeps me busy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your list. I'm sure that it will lead me to other useful newspapers.I've made extensive use of both Google News Index and Chronicling America in my research. I'm sorry that Google won't be adding anything but happy that they're keeping it online.

Don't forget the pay site NewspaperArchives.

Miriam Robbins said...

If you go to my Online Historical Newspapers website, and enter "NewspaperArchives" without the quotes into the search engine in the upper right corner of the screen, you will see the titles I have currently added.

I am working on titles from other sites right now, but will be adding more from NA later.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I hope my site is helpful!