Friday, September 17, 2010

Follow Friday: The Turning of Generations by Michelle Goodrum


Today in my first Follow Friday post, I would like to highlight one of my favorite "new" blogs that I've been reading for a while: The Turning of Generations by Michelle Roos Goodrum of Arizona. I say "new" because Michelle has been blogging just since this January (2010). However, she has already become an accomplished blogger with her own style, her own blogging themes, and entries to various carnivals.

One of the connections I made almost immediately with Michelle is that the city of Cheney, Washington, located just 17 miles southwest of my own city of Spokane, is an ancestral location of hers. She also mentions Spokane and Tum Tum (24 miles northwest of Spokane) in her writing. It is fascinating to finally read a blog with genealogical posts about the area in which I live. Even in my own society, Eastern Washington Genealogical Society, few people have Washington roots. This is an area where everyone seems to be from someplace else!

I mentioned that Michelle has created her own blogging themes. My favorite has been the Time Capsule posts, in which she wrote about each item, layer by layer, that she discovered in an old suitcase which belonged to her great-grandmother. I have also enjoyed her posts on the Archival Closet and her mother's photo album. It has been refreshing to read about family treasures and articles and organization when most geneabloggers tend to write about research or documents (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

I hope you'll take the time to read The Turning of Generations and subscribe to it in your favorite blog reader. And don't forget to follow Michelle with Google Friend Connect (look in the right-hand sidebar of her blog)!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Totally agree, Michelle is a great blogger.

Michelle Goodrum said...

What a great way to start the day!!! You are such a sweetheart for writing about my blog! Thank you!

Miriam Robbins said...

Carol, thanks for dropping by!

Miriam Robbins said...

Michelle, you are welcome! Have a great weekend.

A rootdigger said...

I agree sheMichelle keeps one there to the end.
I am also wondering how you can get all of her blog to show like that?

Miriam Robbins said...

Hi, Rootdigger!

I used Paint Shop Pro, a photo editing software, to take a screenshot of Michelle's blog, which I reduced and inserted into my blog as an image. I then hyperlinked the image to her blog address. So it is not really her blog that is showing, just an image with a link.

Thanks for dropping by!

Miriam Robbins said...

Rootdigger, if you do not have photo editing software that can take screen shots, try this free online program, Shrink the Web.