Friday, May 07, 2010

Funeral Card Friday: Catherine Josephine (DeVRIES) GEBBEN






Funeral program of Catherine Gebben, Grand Rapids, Michigan, citing death on 12 February 2002; DeVries Family Papers, digitized and privately held by Miriam Robbins Midkiff, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Spokane, Washington. 2010.

Catherine Josephine (DeVRIES) GEBBEN was the only sister of my maternal (step) grandfather, Adrian DeVRIES. I've been highlighting the DeVRIES family's funeral cards every Friday for some time, now. Her card is, like her brother Adrian's, more of a mini-biography. I have two special memories of my Grand-aunt Catherine. One was visiting her and Uncle Clarence during the Christmas season of 1978 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. While at Aunt Catherine's house, I enjoyed looking at her many books of Norman Rockwell paintings and magazine covers. The other special memory is that she knitted a beautiful baby sweater, cap, and bootie set and sent it to me when I was pregnant with my first child (20 years ago!).

Thanks to Dee Akard Welborn for this great Friday theme! Dee encourages others to highlight their funeral card collection on the first Friday of each month. Since I have so many, I've decided to highlight mine every Friday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just wandered here from your blog, and had not heard of funeral card friday before. I have some of those, but none have photos of the deceased, just more like prayer cards with their names and life spans. Interesting.

Miriam Robbins said...

Hi, Pat...thanks for dropping by. Perhaps you'll like to join us for Funeral Card Friday. While I do one every Friday, the "official" one is the first Friday of each month. Besides Dee's blog, you can also get information on her group page on Facebook.