Sunday, September 21, 2008

Norm's Got Canadians

My kids' dad has a couple of ancestral lines on his mother's side that came through Canada. Just as in Part One and Part Two of my Miriam's Got Canadians posts that I've been writing for the first edition of the Canadian Genealogy Carnival, I thought I would list his ancestors by their ahnentafel number and provide a map showing their families' locations.


26. George TURK, a.k.a. Henry LYTON was born in 1836 in Ontario, probably in Ottawa, Carelton County. He was the 3rd of eleven children born to Samuel TURK and Lydia GILLETT. I wrote a biographical sketch of George/Henry for my Civil War Soldiers and Sailor Series here. I have not pursued this line as I had hoped, but with the many Canadian resources available online, I hope to remedy this soon.

29. Rachel HUBBY was born in 1832 in Canada, probably in Kent Co., Ontario. She was the oldest of 14 children born to John HUBBY, Sr. and Hannah JONES. Rachel and her younger six siblings were born in Ontario; by 1844, the family was in Shirland, Winnebago Co., Illinois. Rachel married Francois Joseph MARTIN, a French immigrant, by 1848. They lived in Lind, Jones, and Boone Counties in Iowa, then removed to Avon, Bon Homme Co., Dakota Territory (now South Dakota). Francois died there in 1887; Rachel in 1892.

58 and 59. John HUBBY was born in 1797 in either Scotland or Ontario. He married Hannah JONES, born 1812 in New York, by 1832. Their first seven children were born in Ontario; one is known to have been born in Kent County. They removed to Illinois by 1844. They immigrated to Lind Co., Iowa by 1852; Jones Co., Iowa by 1854; and Boone Co., Iowa by 1880. Hannah died there in 1879, and John in 1880.

---

In these three posts you have the Canadian ancestors of our children. I do know that we have SAYERS and WILKINSON descendants still living in Canada. I have met several of my SAYERS' cousins and we collaborate on our research. I am most actively pursuing my WILKINSON ancestry at this time, and I would like to pursue my kids' paternal TURK ancestry as well.

1 comment:

PalmsRV said...

Hi,

Got the chance to nominate your blog for the "I Love Your Blog" award. My "In Deeds" blog was nominated by Jessica @ Jessica's Genejournal. As someone born and raised in Genesee Co., MI, I particularly enjoy your Atlas Twp. information. Now to work on a Canadian story!

Cathy
palmsrv@gmail.com