Saturday, July 13, 2013

Surname Saturday: FREDENBURG



The FREDENBURG family was a Dutch colonial one. The emigrant ancestor supposedly was William VAN VREDENBURGH, a soldier for the Dutch West India Company. He apparently came to New Amsterdam (now New York City) in 1658.

The name FREDENBURG has multiple spellings and evolutions. Some of them include: FREDENBURGH, FRIEDENBURG, FRIEDENBURGH, FRADENBURG, FRADENBURGH, and (VAN) VREDENBURCH.

So far, I've only been able to trace my ancestry through my 4th-great-grandfather's generation, with any accuracy and sources. Information shared with me and that which I have seen online (unverified, of course), hints that my Anthony FREDENBURG is likely the great-great-grandson of immigrant Willem. Other information claims to trace back Willem's ancestry another five generations to Hugo VAN VREDENBURCH.

Stories and History:

Ahnentafel #92 - Anthony FREDENBURG (1816 - 1881) - born in Tackannae, Schoharie Co., New York; died 15 June 1881, probably in Greenwood Twp., St. Clair Co., Michigan. He married Hannah FOX (c. 1814 - c. 1890) in 1837 in Middleburg, Schoharie Co., New York. He was supposedly a son of John FREDENBURG (1789 - 1857) and Charity/Geertje MILLER (1792 - 1873).

Ahnentafel #46 - Sylvester FREDENBURG (1844 - 1879) - Civil War veteran; read more about him here.

Ahnentafel #23 - Mary Jane FREDENBURG (1875 - 1962) - born in Chesterfield Twp., Macomb Co., Michgan. Married four times; her first marriage was to my ancestor, Orlando BARBER (1868 - 1910). She died in Lapeer, Lapeer Co., Michigan (obituary).

Ahnentafel #11 - Mary Jane BARBER (1909 - 1975) - read her AnceStory here. She also married at least four times. I don't have one of her husbands listed in her biography yet. Again, I descend from the first husband, Howard Merkel YORK (1898 - 1945).

Ahnentafel #5 - Jane Marie YORK (a.k.a. Jeanne Marie HOLST) (1924 - 2012) - my paternal grandmother, an adoptee. She was born Jane Marie YORK, and her biological mother was Mary Jane BARBER. Her name was changed at adoption. She married Robert Louis ROBBINS (1920 - 2003) in 1940.

Ahnentafel #2 - my father (living)

Ahnentafel # - myself


More About the FREDENBURG Family:

1. Online database (I update this at least once a month): FREDENBURG ancestors and relatives (no info on living persons available)

2. Some FREDENBURG obituaries on my website

3. Posts about FREDENBURG ancestors and relatives on this blog

4. Some scanned FREDENBURG photos

5. Some scanned FREDENBURG documents

6. My  FREDENBURG Virtual Cemetery on Find A Grave


My FREDENBURG Immigration Trail:

Columbia Co., NY > Schoharie Co., NY > Yates (now Potter) Co., NY > Macomb Co., MI > Lapeer Co., MI > Genesee Co., MI > Ottawa Co., MI > Alaska > Stevens Co., WA > Spokane Co., WA

No comments: