Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Online Historical Newspapers Website

A little announcement to you, my readers of another new website I've started, the Online Historical Newspapers Website. Like the Online Historical Directories Website, you'll find links digitized historical newspapers online available for free or through subscription. The site is and will continue to be a work in progress, as so many newspapers continue to be digitized and added to the web. My first goal is to get the newspapers listed at the Library of Congress's Chronicling America project. I'm adding other free digitized newspapers found at state archives and university websites, and also those at subscription websites, such as GenealogyBank, NewspaperARCHIVES, Ancestry, Footnote, and WorldVitalRecords. I will not be linking to transcribed articles or obituaries, but to whole digitized newspapers only!

If you have a favorite digitized newspaper database, please drop me an email and let me know so I can add it to my site. And like the directories site blog, there is a corresponding blog for the newspapers site to keep you updated of changes and additions. Please add the site and the blog to your list of resources!

9 comments:

Randy Seaver said...

Wow. Ambitious project. You will be busy!

It will be a great help to all researchers. I wish you good luck with it.

Do you need help? Is this osmething that a group could work on? At least find the links?

Happy New Year -- Randy

Greta Koehl said...

Excellent - I keep checking individually with all the newspaper subscription sites, and it's hard to keep track of what is out there.

Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

This is great, Miriam. Thanks for all that you do for the genealogy community.

Miriam Robbins said...

Thanks, Randy, for your kind words, and also the offer of help.

I appreciate people sending me links to websites containing digitized full newspapers (not clippings or transcriptions).

Like the Online Historical Directories site, the Online Historical Newspapers site is one that I work on to relax and zone out a bit; when life seems chaotic, it's nice to put something in order! ;-) So for now, it will be a solitary project.

Miriam Robbins said...

Greta and Debbie,

Thank you for your kind comments, and keep those links coming!

PalmsRV said...

Hi Miriam,

I like the Northern New York Historical Newspapers: http://news.nnyln.net/

Good luck with your project.

Cathy

PalmsRV said...

The Quincy, IL, Library has online newspapers here: http://archive.quincylibrary.org/Default/Skins/QPL/Client.asp?skin=QPL&AppName=2&AW=1235340644867

Cathy

Miriam Robbins said...

Hi, Cathy,

The site you mentioned was also recommended to me by a couple of other people via email...must be a great site, and I'm looking forward to adding links!

Keep them coming!

Miriam Robbins said...

Paul, I fell in love with SmallTownNewspapers a few years ago when I discovered that you carried Southeast Alaska's Island News. This little newspaper was started after I left Prince of Wales Island (where it is published) to move to Washington State in 1979. Through it, I was able to keep current with the happenings of my former community of Klawock and many of my classmates, especially as this was before many of them discovered Facebook.

I've been hooked ever since! Thanks for dropping by and reminding us of this great resource. My plan has always been to add it to my Online Historical Newspaper Website.