Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The 56th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy (Parts I and II) Has Been Posted

Poster courtesy footnoteMaven

Lori Thornton of Smoky Mountain Family Historian has just posted Part I and Part II of the 56th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy. Lori is a librarian, so it comes as no surprise that the topic of this edition was "Ten Essential Books in My Genealogy Library." She's divided up the carnival into two parts; the first gives the links to the 33 participants' submissions. The second part is "a compilation of the results of those submissions. Which titles are valued most by geneabloggers?" My own submission is "Miriam's Ten Essential Genealogy Books." I have read most of the submissions this past week, as I believe many of their submitters are already on my Google Reader feed list, and I was excited to see some interesting titles that I may just have to purchase for my own library!
The topic for the next edition of the COG will be: I read it in the news! Newspapers can be a wonderful source of family history information. Share some aspect about your family history that you learned about in a newspaper. Articles, advertisements, obituaries, classified ads, photos... all are fair game if they appeared in a newspaper. What did you learn about your family from this information? Was the information accurate? How did you learn about this information... online search? Perusing old newspapers? A clipping saved by a relative? Fill us in on your family scoops... who in your family was in the news? The deadline for submissions is October 1st. The next edition will be hosted at the Creative Gene blog.

No comments: