Sunday, August 17, 2008
This coming Sunday, August 24th, from 11 AM to 2 PM, Pacific Daylight Time will be our next Scanfest event. Scanfest is a time when family historians, family archivists (you know, the ones that inherit all the "stuff" when Great-aunt Mildred dies!), antique photo collectors, and genea-bloggers sit down with their scanners and scan their precious photos and documents, which of course, can be very monotonous. So we jazzed it up a bit by adding chatting using Windows Live Messenger!
If you would like to join us, please follow these steps for a smooth start-up and an enjoyable time getting to know others. You will want to do this BEFORE Sunday to make your experience go more smoothly, and so that I will not be spending the first hour or so getting everyone set up, and can do some scanning myself!
1. You need to have Windows Live Messenger downloaded to your computer. Mac users, use this link.
2. Windows Live Messenger works best with Hotmail or Gmail accounts. I don't know why, it just does. I recommend Gmail, because it has such good spam filters.
3. Send me an e-mail to let me know you've gotten all set up with Windows Live Messenger, so I can add you to my list of contacts. Check your e-mail account (the one that you will be using as a sign-in for Windows Live Messenger) to see if I have verified you and invited you to Scanfest. PLEASE NOTE: I'll be away from my computer a lot this coming week as my husband is taking some time off from work and we have a couple of houseguests. Please be patient if I do not respond to your e-mails for a few days.
4. Go to Sally Jacob's website here to sign up for her free newsletter. It will enable you to download her helpful information called 8 Blunders People Make When They Scan Photographs...and How You Can Avoid Them All. You do not want to be scanning photos as .jpeg files or at 150 dpi (dots per inch)! Sally's pamphlet will explain all!
5. Take some time to figure out what you want to scan before Sunday. Otherwise, you'll spend your time sorting and not scanning.
6. On Sunday at 11 AM, PDT, or whenever you plan to join the chat (you don't have to be present the entire three hours), sign in to Windows Live Messenger, and if you've done Step 3, you'll see my icon lit up on your list of contacts. Click on my icon and send me a message. I'll add you to our group conversation.